How to plan ahead for a happy & stress-free summer break
Summer’s almost here. The kiddos get a break from the grind of school work and routines. They get to stay up past bedtime, go to camp, and do fun stuff they like all day. What does mom get? More often than not, a new job title – Camp Counselor or maybe, Cruise Director…and most certainly, Taxi Driver.
If she’s not careful, summer creeps up on her and she’s stuck trying to keep the balls in the air while everybody else is cruising down the lazy river. It doesn’t have to be this way. As the clock counts down to summer vacation, NOW is the time for Mom to get things in order so that she, TOO can enjoy the summer.
The secret is to use this H.A.P.P.Y. planning system:
- HANDLE GEAR & SUPPLIES: Purchase anything that is needed for camp, vacations, etc. Place gear, permission forms, etc. in backpacks, so they’re ready to go on the first day of camp. Can also attach a hanging shoe bag on the back of the pantry]- or garage door and fill the pockets with supplies like sunscreen, repellent, goggles, flip flops, etc.
- APPOINTMENTS: Review calendar of summer activities: Make a note of any activity-free days and use those for the kid’s annual doctor’s appointments and other errands.
- PURGE: Toss old worksheets and papers from the kid’s notebooks. Save notable artwork, essays, or other projects. Save reading/writing/math tools and study guides for summer review.
- PLAN ENRICHMENT ACTIVITIES: Aside from summer camp and family trips, make time for summer enrichment. Relax routines where you can, but have a game plan for academic activities like assigned reading (and reading for pleasure!), math review, and projects. Plan some field trips to the museum and the theater. Teach your children new life skills like banking, cooking, etc. Keep them off the summer slide!
- YOU: Moms, it is important that you don’t forget about YOU! Plan your mommy outings now. Get together with girlfriends, take a spa day, curl up with a good book, or do NOTHING for a day — You deserve it!